National Highways in India
According to the Ministry of Roads, Transport and Highways, there are 599 National Highways in India.
List of Important National Highways in India
National Highway 7
National Highway 7 (NH 7) – It is Connecting Fazilka (Punjab) to Mana (Uttarakhand) in India. It passes through the Indian states of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.
National Highway 2
National Highway 2 – It runs from Dibrugarh in Assam to Tuipang in Mizoram. This national highway passes through the Indian states of Assam, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram.
National Highway 6
National Highway 6 – It runs through the west to east corner via six states. Many cities and towns of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Jharkhand and West Bengal
National Highway 4
National Highway 4 (NH 4) – An important National Highway in Western and Southern India prior to renumbering. NH 4 connected Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, and Chennai, four of India’s ten most populated cities.
National Highway 44
National Highway 44 – India’s longest national highway. It connects the states of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu to the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
National Highway 1
National Highway 1 – It connects Jammu and Kashmir’s union territory with Ladakh. It connects Baramulla, Srinagar, Sonamarg, Zoji La, Dras, Kargil, and Leh through Uri.
National Highway 8
National Highway 8 – It connects the national capital Delhi to the financial centre Mumbai, as well as significant cities such as Gurgaon, Jaipur, Ajmer, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Surat, Nadiad, Anand, and Kheda.
National Highway 3
National Highway 3 – Passes through the states of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra in India. NH 3 new name is Agra–Bombay Road.
National Highway 48
National Highway 48 – Passes at Delhi and terminates at Chennai in India. The study determined that a 102-kilometer section of NH48 between Ahmedabad and Vadodara was the finest of the 219 highways analyzed.
National Highway 22
National Highway 22 – Passes from Sonbarsa in Bihar to Chandwa in Jharkhand. The National Highway 22 is considered one of India’s most dangerous national highways. While travelling on this road, you will come across numerous cliffs and tunnels.
Which is the longest national highway in India?
NH 44 is the longest national highway in India.
How many national highway in India?
There are 599 National Highways in India.
What is National Highway?
National Highways are the backbone of the road infrastructure that connects every major city of India whether ports, capital of states etc. It consists of two, four or more lanes built by charcoal and few by cement concrete. That is in India, National Highways are at-grade roads.
State Highways in India 2022
The Nagpur Plan defined State Highway as:
- “State Highways should be the main arteries of commerce by road within a State or similar geographical unit. In places, they may carry heavier traffic than many of the National Highways, but this will not alter their designation or function”.
- The Road Development Plan of India, 1981-2001, (Lucknow Plan) laid down the following policy and goal for State Highways:
- “State Highways should be extended to serve district headquarters, sub-divisional headquarters, major industrial centers, places of commercial interest, places of tourist attractions, major agricultural market centers and ports”.
- The Lucknow Plan also envisaged that the NH and SH network should link all towns with a population of 5000 and above.
In the Indian Roads Congress document on Geometric Design Standards for Rural (Non-Urban) Highways, IRC: 73-1980, the following definition has been given:
- “State Highways are arterial routes of a State linking district headquarters and important cities within the State and connecting them with National Highways or highways of the neighbouring States”.
- A Strategic Options Study (SOS) was undertaken by the Department in 2009 based on which the State Highways and Major District Roads in the State was formulated. The list of State Highways is as below:
List of State Highways in India
|District||State Highways Kilo Metre|
|Total Length (Kilo Meter)||7547.39|