Department of Transport Allocates with a Wide Range such as Issuance of Driving License, Registration of Vehicles, Issuance of Permit, Public Transport Services, Development of Transport Infrastructure, and Promotion of Private Sector Investment in Transport Area within the Holding of West Bengal State Government.
What is Meant by Permit in West Bengal?
A permit is an instrument, permission issued by the State Transport Authority or any Regional Transport
Authority to use a motor vehicle as a transport vehicle.
What is the Stage of Carriage, Contract Carriage, Private Service Vehicle, and Public Service Vehicle Permit in West Bengal?
- Stage Carriage is those vehicles constructed to carry more than 6 passengers excluding the driver for hiring individual passengers either for the whole journey or for various stages of the journey.
- Contract Carriage means a motor vehicle that carries a passenger for hire and is engaged under a contract on a fixed or an agreed rate or sum; on a time basis or for a journey from one point to another.
Private Service Vehicle means a motor vehicle ordinarily used by or on behalf of the owner of the such vehicle for the purpose of carrying persons for or in connection with his trade or business other than hire or reward
but does not include the vehicle for any profit-seeking purposes.
- Public Service Vehicle means any motor vehicle used for the carriage of passengers for hire and it includes motor cab, maxi cab, contract carriage, and stage carriage.
Who can Apply for a Permit in West Bengal?
- An Indian citizen, any transport operator, Co-operative Societies willing to enter into the transport business can apply for a permit of any category of the vehicle of his, her, it’s choice.
What is the difference [West Bengal function-wise] between STA and RTA?
- STA means the State Transport Authority. It is authorized to issue Stage Carriage Permit for Four and more than 4(Four) Regions (Districts), All Bengal Luxury Taxi Permit, Inter-State Permit, etc.
- RTA means the Regional Transport Authority for a particular Revenue District.
It is authorized to issue Stage Carriage Permit for 3(Three) Districts, Contract Carriage Permit, Taxi-Permit, Goods Permit, National Permit, etc.
What are the functions executed by the West Bengal Regional Transport Authority regarding control of permit?
- Issuance of new offer-letters & subsequently permits, renewal of permits, transfer of ownership of the commercial vehicles and transfer of permit thereof, replacement of commercial vehicles, necessary endorsements on the permits ( HPA, HPTER, Change of address/route alignments, replaced·vehicles, etc), issuance duplicate permit ( in case of lost, torn, defaced permit).
What is the full form of O.L, HPA, HPTER, S.L, C.C. P.S. V, H.S.R.P, C.O.F?
- Full-Form of O.L. – Offer-Letter
- Full-Form of HPA – Addition of Higher Purchase Agreement
- Full-Form of HPTER – Deletion of Higher Purchase Agreement
- Full-Form of S.L – Sanction Letter
- Full-Form of C.C – Contract Carriage
- Full-Form of P.S.V – Private, Public Service Vehicle
Full-Form of H.S.R.P – High-Security Registration Plate
Full-Form of C.O.F – Certificate of Fitness.
What are the procedures of obtaining Stage, 6 Special Stage carriage permits?
- Application in Form no-I coupled with a photocopy of address proof(EPIC preferably), PAN Card, P.Tax, 1-T return, Bank passbook, Coloured Photograph of the applicant is to be submitted before the RTA for a specific route as per the choice of the applicant. Upon hearing before the RTA Board & on the availability of vacancy in the route ( for which permit is applied for), Offer-Letter is issued to the applicant. On completion of registration of the vehicle as per technical specification, Permit is issued on the realization of Govt. Fees.
How Contract Carriage Permit can be obtained?
- Application in Form no-XIII coupled with a photocopy of address proof, PAN Card, P.Tax, I-T return, Bank passbook, Colour Photograph of the applicant is to be submitted before the RTA for the specific regions as per the choice of the applicant. Upon hearing before the RTA Board, Offer-Letter is issued to the applicant. On completion of Registration of the vehicle as per technical specification, Permit is issued on the realization of Govt. Fees.