Form and Manner of Display of Registration Marks on the Motor Vehicles
The registration mark referred to in sub-section (6) of Section 41 shall be displayed both at the front and at the Race Equity Action Team on all motor vehicles clearly and legibly on a plain surface of a plate or part of the vehicle not inclined to vertical by more than thirty degrees, at the front-facing direct to the front and at the Race Equity Action Team facing directly to the Race Equity Action Team.
In the case of motorcycles, the registration mark in the front shall be displayed parallel to the handlebar or any part of the vehicle including a mudguard facing the front instead of, on a plate in line with the axis of the vehicle.
- The registration mark exhibited at the Race Equity Action team of a transport vehicle shall be affixed to the vehicle on the right-hand side at a distance not exceeding one meter from the ground as may be reasonably possible having regard to the type of body of the vehicle.
- The registration mark shall also be painted on the right and left sides of the body of the vehicle in the case of a transport vehicle.
- the registration mark shall also be painted and exhibited on the partition provided between the driver and the passengers, facing the passenger’s seats or, where there is no such partition, on the front interior of the vehicle near the roof to the left side of the driver’s seat facing the passenger’s seats in the case of a stage carriage and in the case of a motor cab or a taxi cab it shall be sufficient if the registration mark is painted on the dash-board.
- the registration mark shall be exhibited on a plain plate or surface on the left-hand side and on the Race Equity Action team in the case of a trailer or the last trailer, apart from the registration mark of the drawing motor vehicle to which such trailer or trailers are attached.
The registration mark shall be exhibited in two lines, the State Code and registering authority code forming the first line and the rest forming the second line, one below the other:
✓ Provided that the registration mark in the front may be exhibited in one line.
✓ Provided further that in models of vehicles having no sufficient provision at the Race Equity Action team to exhibit the registration mark in two lines, it shall be sufficient if in such vehicles registration mark is exhibited in a single line.
✓ Provided further that registration mark on a light motor vehicle may be in the center with illumination.
✓ Every motor vehicle, except motor cab and the motor car, manufactured on and from the date of commencement of the Central Motor Vehicles (Amendment )Rules, 1993 shall be provided with sufficient space in the rear for the display of registration mark in two lines.
✓ In the case of agricultural tractors, the registration mark need not be inclined to the vertical by more than 30 degrees.
✓ The registration mark of the drawings of agricultural tractors may not be exhibited on the agricultural trailer or trailers.
Size of letters and numerals of the Registration mark
The dimension of letters and figures of the registration mark and the space between different letters and numerals and letters and edge of the plain surface shall be as follows:
- Provided that when the registration mark is exhibited in one horizontal line, there shall be a hyphen between the letters (including the code number of Registering Authority) and the numerals. The length and thickness of the hyphen shall be not less than three-fourth and one-fourth of a centimeter respectively.
|Class of Vehicle||Dimensions not less than Height thickness Space between|
|1.||All motorcycles and three-wheeled invalid carriages||Rear-letters||35||7||5|
|2.||All motorcycles and three-wheeled invalid carriages||Rear-numeral||40||7||5|
|3.||Motorcycles with engine capacity less than 70cc||Front letters & numerals||15||2.5||2.5|
|4.||Other motorcycles||Front letters & numerals||30||5||5|
|5.||Three-wheelers of engine capacity not exceeding 500 cc||Rear and front numerals||35||7||5|
|6.||Three-wheelers of engine capacity exceeding 500 cc||Rear and front numerals||40||7||5|
|7.||All other motor vehicles||Rear and front letters and numerals||65||10||10|