Tamil Nadu RTO Website is providing more information to give services of Registration of Motor Vehicles. The below information is very useful to know about the LLR before initiate.
Transport Commissionerate and State Transport Authority (Government of Tamil Nadu)
Registration of Motor Vehicles Services
As per the motor vehicle act, every vehicle has to be registered with RTO/MVI before running on the road. To simplify the process of registration, all the car dealers are provided with login and passwords for access to the Vahan portal for the purpose of registration.
The dealer will apply on behalf of the owner of the vehicle through their login online. (If already registered temporarily, the owner may apply for permanent registration). All the details in form 20 can be filled in from the dealer login and all required documents can be uploaded online and fees and tax will be also paid online.
After online application with necessary documents also with appropriate fees and Tax the vehicle to be produced before the Registering Authority / Motor Vehicle Inspector. for inspection. After inspection of the new vehicle, if the vehicle complies with the requirement of the Motor Vehicles Act and Rules made under, the registration mark will be assigned to the vehicle.
Life Time Tax will be levied based on the purchase invoice.
i) Two Wheeler 8% of the total cost of the vehicle.
- ii) Four Wheeler.
- a) Cost of the vehicle up to 10 lakhs= 10% of Total Cost of the Vehicle
- b) Cost of the vehicle more than 10 lakhs= 15% of Total Cost of the Vehicle
In the case of Transport passenger Vehicles, the tax will be assessed based on the number of seats or floor area, whereas for goods vehicles, the tax will be assessed based on the GVW.
Registration Certificate for non-transport vehicles (personal cars and Motorcycle etc) valid for 15 years and after that it to be renewed for every five years subject to payment of Green tax. In the case of Transport Vehicles (Goods and Passenger vehicle), renewal (Fitness certificate-FC) to be carried out every two years for initially for new vehicles up to eight years and after that it to be renewed every year thereafter subject to payment of green tax.
Documents required Motor Vehicle Registration
- Application Form 20 generated online (If it is covered with HP in Duplicate).
- Initial certificate of compliance with pollution standards and roadworthiness certificate in Form-22 from the manufacturer.
- Initial certificate of compliance with pollution standards and roadworthiness certificate in Form-22 A, (Part II) where the body is fabricated.
- Pan card or GIR or Form-60/61 of I.T. Department.
- Insurance Certificate.
- Proof of address.
- Life Time Tax for Non-Transport Vehicle.
- Unladen Weight Certificate for Transport Vehicle.
- Permit sanctioned proceedings for Transport Vehicle.
- Temporary Registration Certificate if any.
|Class of vehicle||Fee||Road Safety Tax (Rs.)||Life Time Tax/Qty Tax (Rs.)||Service Charge (Rs.)|
|Two Wheeler||Rs. 300||Rs. 250||8%||Rs. 100|
|Four Wheeler||Rs. 600||Rs. 1500||
|LGV(less than 3000 Kg/GVW)||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1500||Rs. 19200/-||Rs. 200|
|Autorickshaw||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1500||For five years Rs.1400/-||Rs. 200|
|Tourist Taxi||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1500||Below 10 lakhs is 10%
Above 10 lakhs is 15%
|Maxicab (More than 6 Sq. mt)||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1500||Below 10 lakhs is 10%
Above 10 lakhs is 15%