Tamil Nadu RTO Website is providing more information to get Learning License (LLR) in an easy way. The below Frequently Asked Questions and Answers, the set of Q&A is very useful to know about the LLR before initiate.
Transport Commissionerate and State Transport Authority (Government of Tamil Nadu)
Learning License Registration FAQ
How can I get LLR?
- One who completed 18 years, can apply for LLR through online. You can select your RTO/MVI office with the help of Pin Code in Vahan portal. LLR can be applied either directly through web portal or through recognized driving schools. Online portal is self-guided and fill up all information required. One can upload all the necessary documents such as address proof, age proof etc in online.
What are the documents required?
- Medical Certificate in Form 1-A.
- Application cum Declaration as to the Physical Fitness Form
- Three Copies of Passport size Photo
- Proof of age
- Proof of Address
What if failed in the Preliminary Learner License Test?
- If applicant failed in Learner License test, he/she can reappear for test on the next day onwards after paying necessary fees.
Is it compulsory to obtain Driving Training From Driving School?
- No, In case of private or non-commercial vehicles, it is not compulsory.
- However, In case of commercial vehicles, it is compulsory because the Motor Driving School has to issue Form No.5 for commercial driving license.
What are the Precautions to be Taken by Learners License?
- The following points need to be kept in mind by a Learner’s license holder:
The learner’s license holder should get training under the supervision of a Permanent driving license holder.
The learner license holder has to display symbol -L in a Red color that should be visible from a distance.
In case of commercial vehicle, the learner licensee has to under go training either from Government Motor Driving School or Motor Driving Schools authorized by the State Government.
In addition to practical training, the learner’s license holder should also learn about the vehicles’ mechanism, road symbols or signs etc.
If you are learning how to drive a two-wheeler, you cannot carry any other person on the pillion except your instructor.
Is there any Age Restrictions for Obtaining Learners License?
- The applicant shall have to attain the age of 16 years in case of a motorcycle with engine capacity not exceeding 50 ccs (motorcycle without gear) with consent/declaration of the parents/guardian and shall be signed before the Licensing Authority. The applicant shall have completed the age of 18 years in case of a motorcycle with gear or light motor vehicle. In the case of transport vehicles one-year of driving experience of a light motor vehicle.
What is a Preliminary Test? Whether Any Exemption is provided?
- Written tests or online tests will be conducted. This test will be of Multiple choice objective type. In case of candidates not comfortable with a written and online tests, an Oral test will be conducted by the motor vehicle inspector.
Applicants who are already having a driving license from any state government licensing authority or defense licensing authority or any abroad licensing authority are exempted from appearing the test.