The Latest way to pay online road tax payments is available in West Bengal. The state government charges a road tax to every vehicle owner to maintain road connectivity across the state in West Bengal.
What is Road Tax or Motor Vehicles Tax (Motor Vehicles Tax)?
- Road tax or Motor Vehicles Tax (Motor Vehicles Tax) is the tax that needs to be paid on motor vehicles. This tax is applicable to all private and commercial vehicles.
Who has to pay Motor Vehicles Tax?
Every owner of a registered motor vehicle or every person who owns or keeps in his possession or
control any motor vehicle has to pay Motor Vehicles Tax. Also, every dealer or manufacturer, who keeps in his possession or control any motor vehicle on the basis of a trade Certificate, has to pay Motor Vehicles Tax.
Where to pay the Motor Vehicles Taxes?
- The Motor Vehicles tax is to be deposited at the motor vehicle offices (RTO, ARTO Offices) where the vehicle stands registered. The road tax is to be paid to the Public Vehicles Departments in Kolkata and other Regional Transport Offices in the Districts and ARTO offices at the Sub-Divisions having motor vehicle offices.
- The road tax is to be paid to the Taxing Officer of the Motor Vehicles Office having jurisdiction over the place of Residence, Business of the Vehicle owner. For Kolkata, at the appropriate unit office of PV D, Kolkata (Beltala or Kasba or Salt Lake) and for Districts, Sub-Divisions, at the RTO, ARTO Offices. The Bank Draft would be in favor of the Taxing Officer of the relevant Motor Vehicles Office payable at the relevant City (Kolkata, Medinipur, Siliguri, etc)
What are the modes of payment of Motor Vehicles Tax?
- Motor Vehicles Tax is to be deposited either in cash or Demand Draft, Pay Order.
(online E-payment mode is going to be introduced shortly in all Motor Vehicles Offices in a time-bound manner.)
Who are the Taxing Officers?
- The Taxing Officers are the officers up to the rank of ARTO in the Districts and Sub-Divisions, Assistant Director (Tax) for PVD, Kolkata, and ARTOs for PVD, Kasha, and PVD, Salt Lake.
Is there any grace period for payment of Motor Vehicles Tax?
- There is a grace period of 15 days for payment of tax without penalty after the date of expiry.
What are the documents required for payment of Motor Vehicles Taxes?
The required documents are:
- A signed and duly filled declaration form
- Copies of insurance Certificate and PUCC.
- Original Tax Token (Right-hand side part)
What happens if one fails to pay taxes in time?
- One cannot legally use the vehicle on road without payment of Motor Vehicles Road Tax or after the expiry of the Tax payment validity period. Such vehicles may also be impounded by the enforcement wing if found plying on road. Penalties on tax also start accruing. The vehicle may also be auctioned by the e-government for the realization of government dues. The permit also becomes automatically invalid.
What are the rates of penalty for delay in payment of Motor Vehicles Tax?
- There is a grace period of 15 days for payment of tax without penalty after expiry.
- The penalty is charged thereafter @ 25% for delay in payment during the period of 16th day to 45th day after expiry.
- The penalty is charged thereafter@ 50% for delay in payment during the period of 46th day to 75th day after the expiry
- The penalty is charged thereafter @ 100% for delay in payment after the 75th day after expiry.
For vehicles against which One-time Tax is payable the rate of penalties is:
- Grace e period of 15 days for payment of tax without penalty after expiry;
- The penalty is charged thereafter @ 1, 20th part for the delay in payment during the period of 16th day to 45th day after expiry,
- then @ 1, 10th part for the delay in payment during the e period of 46th day to 75th day after expiry;
- then @ 1, 5th part for the delay in payment after the 75th day after expiry;
- then @ 2, 5th part for the delay in payment during the period of 1st year and the 2nd year after expiry;
- then @ 3, 5th part for the delay in payment during the period of 2nd year and the 3rd year after expiry;
- then @ 4, 5th part for the delay in payment during the period of 3rd year and the 4th year after the expiry
- finally @ 100% for delay in payment after the 4th year after expiry.
- Further, if the tax is not paid against any vehicle even after 30 days of detention of the vehicle for nonpayment of taxes, then the liability goes up to double the amount of taxes due plus the penalty applicable as above.
What type of Motor Vehicles Tax is needed to deposit for a new private car?
- One has the option to deposit either One-time tax or lifetime tax for a new private car. The one-time tax is valid for five years and the lifetime tax is valid for the entire life of the car.
What type of Motor Vehicles Tax is to be deposited for a two-wheeler?
- It is needed to deposit lifetime tax for a new two-wheeler.
Is it needed to pay MV Tax again for this State if one brings a vehicle from another State with a No Objection Certificate?
- Yes, if one brings a vehicle to West Bengal which is registered outside West Bengal with a No Objection Certificate, one has to pay Motor Vehicles Tax for West Bengal as applicable against the vehicle and such tax will be realized from the date of issuance of the No Objection Certificate.
(In that case claim for refund of Motor Vehicles Tax already paid in the previous State, if any, is to be preferred to the Taxing Officer of that previous State which shall be disposed of in accordance with the provisions of prevailing Motor Vehicles Tax Act, Rules of the relevant State).
Is there any scope of refund of the deposited Motor Vehicles tax if the vehicle is taken out from WB to another State with NOC?
- If one moves him, her vehicle from this State (WB) to another, he, she is eligible for a refund of taxes only after re-assignment of the vehicle with that State’s registration number, for the remainder period.
(A plain paper application seeking a refund, Tax Token, attested photocopy of the new registration mark in the other State and one blank, canceled cheque of his, her Bank Account is to be submitted.)
What is the procedure to get a duplicate Tax Token, if the original Token is lost or torn, defaced, Mutilated?
Following documents to be submitted for getting a duplicate Tax Token:
- N.O.C. from Lalbazar, Traffic Department, Kolkata.
- Missing Diary of Tax Token at Police Station in case of Loss of Tax Token.
- Affidavit (Notary public)
- Valid Insurance Policy.
- N.O.C. from Financier (for hypothecated vehicles)
- Torn or defaced Tax Token.