Is it compulsory to obtain Driving Training from a Motor Driving School?
- No, in the case of private or non-commercial vehicles, it is not compulsory.
- However, in the case of commercial vehicles, it is compulsory because the Motor Driving School has to issue
- Form No.5 for a commercial driving license.
Why do you need a Driving License?
- As per Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a valid Driving Licence is necessary to drive any motor vehicle on public roads.
How long is the Driving License valid?
- License to drive a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. After that, the Licence is renewed every 5 years. Transport Vehicle Licence is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
What about International Driving Licence? Which Document requires for applying for an International driving license?
- International driving licenses are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your license from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for an International driving license.
- Original valid Driving License.
- A valid passport issued by our country.
- Visa/permission to visit the particular country.
- Two passport size photographs
What happens if I fail the driving test?
- You may apply for a re-test after 7 days. However, this period of 7 days should be utilized to upgrade your skills and to rectify your mistakes.
- The applicant must check his particulars on the driving license at the time of data entry or approval; otherwise, he may have to pay extra charges for reprinting. The Transport Department does not hold any responsibility for any kind of discrepancies if reported after issuance of driving license.
Why does my record need to be verified in case of Commercial license renewal?
- The record of the license which is to be renewed has to be thoroughly verified in order to ensure authenticity. The record is also checked to see if the Driving license was earlier issued from any other zonal office. In case the record is not traceable but the M.L.O. feels that the license is genuine, he may refer for a re-test.
What happens if I forget to renew my license?
- You can renew it within 5 years from the date of its expiry. Penalty for late renewal is charged after the first 30 days of expiry. But remember that driving with an expired license is an offense.
- If an accident occurs after the expiry of your Driving Licence, the Insurance Company will not provide the compensation and you will also be at fault in the Eyes of the Law.
What is the penalty in case of a delay in getting the license renewed?
- Rs.1000/ after the first 30 days of expiry- irrespective of delay but before 5 yrs of its expiry.