Chandigarh License Authority PDF | Chandigarh Driving Licence status Download
Why do you need a Driving License?
- As per Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a valid Driving License is necessary to drive any motor vehicle on public roads.
Where do you get it?
- At the Office of Registering & Licensing Authority, Sector-17 U.T., Chandigarh.
When do you get it?
- After completion of 16 years of age, for driving motorcycles with engine capacity not exceeding 50cc with the consent of the parent, guardian. After completion of 18 years of age, motorcycles with engine capacity exceeding 50cc and light motor vehicle. After completion of 20 years of age, for an endorsement to drive transport vehicles.
How to get a Driving License?
There are two stages to get a Permanent Driving License:-
i. Obtaining a Learner’s License
ii. Obtaining a Permanent License
How do you obtain a Learner’s License?
- The applicant for a learner’s license should appear personally before the Licensing Authority along with the required documents to know the procedure & documents required to obtain a Learner’s License.
What is the validity of the Learner’s License and after how many days applicant apply for Fresh Driving License?
- Learner License is valid for six months and the applicant can apply for Fresh Driving License after 30 days from the issue date of Learner License.
Will I have to give the Driving Test for the learner’s License?
- No Driving test is required for obtaining a Learning License. You have to pass the computer (STALL test).
Is Learner’s License valid outside Chandigarh?
- Yes, Learner’s License is valid throughout India.
What to do if Learner’s License expires?
- A Learner’s License cannot be renewed. In case a Learner’s License expires, a fresh one has to be applied for and obtained.
Is it compulsory to have a medical certificate for obtaining a learner’s license?
- It allows you to learn to drive with a regular and experienced driver of your choice. If you want to drive a motor car or a two-wheeler, this should be along with a friend, relative, or an instructor of a driving school who holds a valid driving License. If you wish to become a professional driver and drive commercial, passenger, or goods vehicles, you will have to get yourself trained at a driving school duly recognized by the Transport Department.
What are the precautions to be taken by a learner license holder?
The following points need to be kept in mind by a Learner’s License holder :
i. The learner’s License holder should get training under the supervision of a Permanent driving License holder.
ii. The learner License holder has to display the symbol –L in a Red color that should be visible from a distance.
iii. In the case of a commercial vehicle, the learner licensee has to undergo training either from a Government Motor Driving School or a Motor Driving school authorized by the State Government.
iv. In addition to practical training, the learner’s license holder should also learn about the vehicles’ mechanism, road symbols or signs, etc.
v. If you are learning how to drive a two-wheeler, you cannot carry any other person on the pillion except your instructor.
What is to be done in the case of Fail in the preliminary test?
- The applicant must come after 15 days to re-appear in the test.
How do you obtain a Regular (Permanent) Driving License?
- The applicant for a Regular Driving License should appear personally before the Licensing Authority along with the required documents. “Click Here” to know the procedure & documents required to obtain a Regular Driving License.
How long is the Driving License valid?
License to drive a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. After that, the License is renewed every 5 years.
Transport Vehicle License is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Is there any penalty, if Driving License is renewed in case of delay?
- Yes, Rs. 15/- late fee is charged, if the applicant, unable to get their Driving License renewed within one month from the date of expiry of the Driving License.
When will the Driving License deliver after depositing the file?
- The Driving License is delivered to the applicant through Speed Post at his given address within a week.
What to do if you don’t have any date of Birth proof?
- If the applicant does not have a Date of Birth proof or in the case of an illiterate person, then a Certificate of age confirmation is required from the Medical Officer of any government hospital/ dispensary.
What to do if you don’t have any signature identification?
- If the applicant does not have any signature identification, then three specimen signatures are required, which are attested by a Gazetted Officer along with a photograph.