What is the Challan of the vehicle?
- Challan is the process of prosecution by enforcement agencies for and under the Motor Vehicle Act. Challan is a document prepared by the enforcement agency for the prosecution of an offense under the Motor Vehicle Act.
What is impounding of the vehicle?
- Impounding of the vehicle is to retain a vehicle by the enforcement agencies for an offense committed under Motor Vehicle Act. The impounded vehicle is released after the challan is either compounded or disposed
What is the Compounding of challans?
- Compounding of challans under the Motor Vehicle Act means settlement between the enforcement agencies and the offender by which challan is disposed of through depositing of notified fee by the offender.
Under what circumstances your vehicle can be challenged?
- Enforcement agencies deploy their team for regulating, monitoring, enforcing the Motor Vehicle Act. You may be stopped by one of these teams. You may be asked to produce the following documents in original:
I. Driving license
II. Registration book of vehicle
III. Insurance certificate
IV. Pollution under control certificate
V. Permits (for commercial vehicles only)
VI. Certificate of fitness (for commercial vehicles only)
VII. Road Tax Receipt (for commercial vehicles only)
VIII. If you are not carrying the above-mentioned documents or found violating any of the Traffic Rules/Regulations, you may be challan.
What happens when your vehicle is challan? What happens immediately?
A prosecution slip/challan will be issued to you containing the following details:
I. Name and address of the court where the offense will be trialed.
II. Details of the offense committed.
III. Date of trial
IV. Vehicle details
Goatransport.gov.in | FAQ – Challaning
V. Name and address of the offender
VI. Name and signature of the challaning officer
VII. Details of documents retained
Besides this vehicle documents or your vehicle may also be impounded or both depending on the gravity of the violation.
How can you get the challan disposed of?
You have two options:
a) Disposal of challan by Compounding
i) If you are challaned by traffic police
The challan officer may compound the challan at the spot itself by depositing the notified amount.
ii) If you are challan by Transport Department
Your challan will be compounded by the duty officer at Asstt. Director of Transport,(Enf), North, North-Panaji-Goa. Junta-House, Panaji-Goa and Asstt. Director of Transport,(Enf) South-MargaoGoa. Goa Agricultural Marketing Produce Committee Bldg., Arlem, Margao-Goa between 10.00 AM to 4.00 PM on any working day. (Remember only certain offenses can be compounded)
b) Disposal of challan in the Court
For disposal in the Court, you have to appear in the court on the date and place mentioned the challan.
- You will be trialed by the court depending upon whether you plead guilty or not.
- If you plead guilty court may impose a penalty on the facts and circumstances of the case.
- If you do not plead guilty you may be asked by the court to submit the ground/documents on the basis of which you do not plead guilty.
- After hearing you and the challan officer, the court will decide the case.
How will you get your impounded documents released?
- From the court, if challan is to be disposed of in the court. From enforcement agency, if challan is compounded.