Punjab Transport Department:
- Transport Department functions under the provisions of section 213 of Motor Vehicles Act,1988. The Transport Department is primarily established for enforcement of the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act,1988, Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act,1924(Amended 1993), and the rules framed under these two Acts.
Where to approach for obtaining of Learner License?
- College students Should contact their principal’s office for applying for Learner License. Approach your nearest Suwidha Centre or Licensing Authority (DTO or Sub Divisional Magistrate)
Eligibility for obtaining of Learner License?
- Age greater than 16 years but are less than 18 years are eligible for a license to drive only a motorcycle up to 50cc engine capacity i.e. motorcycle without gear. For this, they require the consent of their parents, guardians.
- Age greater than 18 years are eligible to obtain a license for a motorcycle equipped with gears and also for a Light Motor Vehicle [Motor Car].
- Age greater than 20 years of age are eligible to obtain a license to drive a transport vehicle, i.e., a vehicle used to carry passengers or goods for hire or reward, etc. such as taxi, auto-rickshaw, bus or truck but they must have passed middle standard examination i.e. 8th standard.
- However, no person shall be granted a Learner’s license to drive a medium or heavy goods vehicle or passenger vehicle unless he has held a driving license valid for a light motor vehicle (LMV) for at least one year.
- A Learner’s license is essential for obtaining a driving license.
- It is mandatory to present yourself in front of Licencing
- Authority to obtain the learner license Licencing authority will conduct the test of the applicant and passes candidates are allowed to obtain the Learner license. Here digital data for the applicant is captured.
Documents required to apply for Learner License?
- Fee of Rs. 30/- for each category of Vehicle applied.
- Applications in Form 1, Form 1A [Medical Certificates as issued by any M.B.B.S. doctor] and Form 2. [These Forms can be downloaded from the website]
- Three recent passport-size photographs.
- Proof of your ordinarily residing address and date of birth through any one of the following documents :
- School Leaving Certificate, Birth Certificate Ration Card, Election ID Card, Passport Electricity, Telephone Bill, House Tax Receipt Pay slip issued by any office in the Central, State Government or a local body Get the copy of the document attested by a Gazette officer of the central/state government or a local body
Effectiveness and Validity?
- Learner License is valid for a period of six months from the date of issue Learner License is effective throughout India.